Thursday, February 19, 2009

Magic Metatheria


In prehistory South America, there were all kinds of cool animals, now extinct, that are pretty much unknown to the general public. Among them were large predatory marsupials, such as the somewhat bear-like Borhyaena, and the saber-toothed Thylacosmilus. I love these creatures, and think they're some of the coolest things in the history of life. So, in my alternate magical world, I let them live.
So, here we have a large Borhyaenid and a new species of Thylacosmilus. Since magic is a natural phenomenon in this alternate world, many animals have evolved to use it. The Borhyeen, for example, has a magical roar that makes its prey freeze in place. I tried to use this power to dramatic affect in a story that I wrote in my DeviantArt. I'd very much appreciate it if you read that story, and my related thoughts. Link.

1 comment:

James Roble said...

I enjoyed reaading this